Wednesday 13 November 2019

Why I Love My Apple Watch

A man's hand checking the heart rate monitor on an Apple Watch Series 4.
Denys Prykhodov/Shutterstock

I first put on my Apple Watch in January 2019, and haven’t wanted to take it off since. At first, I saw it as a handy lifestyle accessory. However, over time, I’ve come to appreciate it as much as my iPhone—and here’s why you might, too.

It Motivates Me to Move

One of the simplest, but greatest features on the Apple Watch is its ability to track when you move, exercise, or stand. Each of these appears on a ring, and your goal for the day is to “close your rings.”

The Move ring is a bit different. Your Move goal is personal to you and your fitness level. Each week, the Apple Watch gives you a buzz to let you know how well you did last week, and what your goal for this week might look like if you want to increase it. This way, you can meet and improve your exercise goals over time.

The Move Ring in the Activity App.

Being able to view how much energy you’ve expended is both rewarding and encouraging. When I meet my Move goals by lunchtime, I feel good about hitting the gym hard. When I’ve sat around playing video games all day, the Move ring serves as a reminder to get outside.

The Apple Watch also notifies you when you’re close to closing your Move ring, and tells you how long of a walk you should take to do so. If you remain seated for around 50 minutes, your watch sends you a notification to stand and move around a bit. You might already be mindful enough to get up and move regularly, but I’m not.

In my job as a layabout tech blogger, I’m all too aware of the dangers of a sedentary lifestyle. Sitting at a laptop all day is how I pay the bills, but it’s also bad for my health. The Apple Watch might be expensive, but I see it as an investment in my health. Since getting it, I’m fitter, less sedentary, and more mindful of my activity levels.

Track Your Workouts

One of the main reasons I embraced the Apple Watch is its ability to track workouts. I go to the gym to lift weights, and, although the Apple Watch isn’t best suited to monitor this sort of resistance training (find me a fitness tracker that is), I’ve fallen in love with the data it collects.

I now track just about every type of workout, from a walk to the shops to all-day cycling trips. The Apple Watch allows you to register “Other” workouts, for which you can then pick a predetermined label. There are categories for activities, like “Mind & Body” and “Play,” but also hiking, most variations of football, and archery (among others).

Read the remaining 33 paragraphs



from How-To Geek https://ift.tt/2X9kdXm

No comments:

Post a Comment